Tomatoes: Emily's Top Ten Tips
Tomatoes!! Can't wait for those sandwiches. Everyone has their secrets and success stories.
Here are Emily's Top Ten Tips:
- Plant varieties that do well in your zone.
- Indoor seeds should be started 5 - 6 weeks before the last frost date.
- Keep seedlings in sunshine through a clear window, or light growing fixture that can easily be moved upward as the plants grow.
- Choose the correct site for planting in your garden and the tomatoes will have a good start. At least six hours of sun is perfect. The site should have good drainage.
- When planting, be sure to go deep. The plant will develop good roots along the stem.
- Do not plant too early, nothing grows 'til the soil warms up.
- You can enhance the process of warming the soil by using raised beds and/or by using clear plastic to catch the sun's rays.
- (How scientific this suggestion is I do not know, but) gently brushing the tomato seedlings will keep them compact and sturdy.
- When the time comes to support your wonderful growth, use cages and tie with old panty hose. Pinch out suckers and trim some of the blossoms.
- Keep an even watering pattern. Not too much and not too little. Rain and saved rainwater is ultimately the best.
Also see Hornworms (for a real treat)!